bochs and bximage~ What other architecture aside from Apple…

Author: der.hans
Subject: bochs and bximage~ What other architecture aside from Apple/IBM clones
Am 02. Feb, 2004 schw=E4tzte June Tate so:

> Here's a little more info for those of you who are computer history
> buffs:
>
> On Sun, 2004-02-01 at 22:52, Ted Gould wrote:

> > -- ARM (New Palms - also popular in embedded)
>
> Originally used in the Amstrad Acorn line of computers, ARM has a bit of
> a clouded history. There seems to be an ARM consortium, and then there
> is a derivative set of chips by Intel called the StrongARM. Both ARM and
> StrongARM chips are used primarily in embedded devices such as the Palm,
> Sharp Zaurus SL-5000D, and the Nintendo GameBoy Advance. In all, though
> ARM chips are the most pervasive CPUs used in mobile and embedded
> devices.

ARM was aquired by Intel. The new derivative of ARM is the Xscale, which ca=
be seen in some PDAs, e.g. newer iPAQs. I think StrongARM was the first
generation released by Intel, but it might've been StrongARM before Intel
got it. I believe the old Netwinder boxen are ARM boxen. At least part of
the Xscale team is here in town.

ciao,

der.hans
--=20
#  ... make it clear I support "Free Software" and not "Open Source",
#  and don't imply I agree that there is such a thing as a
#  "Linux operating system". - rms