bochs and bximage~ What other architecture aside from Apple…

Author: Ted Gould
Subject: bochs and bximage~ What other architecture aside from Apple/IBM clones
--=-auvyb8fE3B0NIOWMQeMP

Here are the currently used instruction sets that I can think of
(without research):

-- IA32 (Intel Processors, AMD 32-bit, Cyrix (are they still around?),
VIA and others)
-- IA64 (Itanium - done by both HP and Intel)
-- x86-64 (AMD's 64-bit x86 instruction set)
-- MIPS (SGI and Cray, plus lots of embedded stuff (they sell cores
now))
-- ARM (New Palms - also popular in embedded)
-- PPC & PPC64 (Developed by AIM (Apple, IBM and Motorola) used in
Cisco, Tivo, Apple and lots of others)
-- SPARC (Developed and used by Sun, I've heard there are some embedded
SPARC cores out there?)
-- PA-RISC (Developed by HP and used in some HP-UX stuff today, mostly
going to IA64)
-- Alpha (Dieing if not dead already, I think HP is still shipping some
stuff for support contracts)
-- 68K (Developed by Motorola originally, kinda died, was revived by the
ColdFire product line (which removed a large part of the instruction
set) and is used in small embedded devices)
-- PIC (Developed by Microchip and used in _very_ small embedded
environments, I don't think this one will run Linux)

These are the ones that I can think of right now - but I'm sure there
are others. I don't remember the instruction set that the SH8 uses...=20
bother. A good place to look for a list of instruction sets and
platforms is /usr/src/linux/arch/.

        --Ted

--=-auvyb8fE3B0NIOWMQeMP

--=-auvyb8fE3B0NIOWMQeMP--