OT - CD read problem

Author: Bryce C
Subject: OT - CD read problem
--=-vUWXTcWhIoePgW06OXMa

Personally, I use clamav. I just started using it and I'm working on
integrating it with my mail server via amavis. It looks pretty good and
has performed flawlessly thus far (detected a windows trojan in an
archive I suspected of not being what it was. Trojan.Dropper.JS.Mimail.B
was the trojan). Anyways, just thought I'd get its name out there.

On Sat, 2004-01-31 at 17:31, Vaughn Treude wrote:
> Mage,
>=20
> Thanks for the tip. I didn't see the Linux version on their site but the=

y=20
> say they're updating they're server so hopefully that's a termporary thin=

g.
>=20
> Vaughn
>=20
>=20
> On Saturday 31 January 2004 21:41, you wrote:
> > try www.free-av.com.
> > they have a linux capable virus scanner (it uses the dazuko engine) and=

can
> > auto-update daily if set so.
> >
> > I use it here and its been a real life saver. :)
> >
> > Mage

t it

some

> > > No, this has been a Mandrake 8 box for well over a year. I'd been ha=

ving
> > > a hard time with a previous CD drive that seemed flakey - sometimes i=

> > > would read a CD, sometimes it wouldn't. I moved it to another box an=

> > > eventually it failed there, so I threw it out. It was old and slow s=

o no
> > > big loss. This new CD/DVD drive worked well for quite some time, but =

I've
> > > had rare occasions when it had trouble playing a CD audio disk. On a
> > > couple of those occasions, a gratutitous reboot fixed that problem.
> > >
> > > One thing I did see last week made me think I'd caught a virus - and
> > > maybe I did, but the problem seemed to go away and unfortunately I di=

dn't
> > > pursue it any further. What happened was that I suddenly couldn't ac=

cess
> > > the Internet - but only on this box. I could still ping the firewall=

box
> > > (it also runs Mandrake) and get to the web from other Linux and MS
> > > machines. I ran "top" and discovered that kmail had gone crazy, was
> > > sucking up most of the system's RAM and was possibly trying to send a=

> > > email to someone I'd never heard of. Of course, I may have accidental=

ly
> > > replied or forwarded some piece of spam I was deleting. Probably sho=

uld

,

lso

}