Cox and email revisited

Author: Craig White
Subject: Cox and email revisited
On Sat, 2004-01-31 at 18:57, Augie Grayfox wrote:

> By your reasoning and apparantly cox' anybody that sends ANY email is relaying
> therefore a spammer
> PULLLEEEEASE get real!
> The only reason I mentioned this was to basically rant about crappie tech
> support that seems to unduly single out Linux users.
> I'm sorry if I ruffled any feathers for badmouthing anybody's favorite ISP and
> no I'm not switching from cox, been with them for years. I may continue to
> use them, but that don't mean I have to like they're discriminatory treatment
> of non m$ users.
>
> *v*> Hell of a way to run a railroad!

----
I use Cox and I too like others have pointed out find their service to
be fast, typically reliable and my calls for support have been hit or
miss, much like just about any other company I call for tech support. I
have had shells running constantly into a client's office for over a
month while I tweak configuration and it hasn't dropped once. Over my
client base, I maintain many different types of connections, Frame
relays, DSL, Cable modem, RNI's wireless DSL and I don't think that bang
for the buck - anything comes close to Cox's residential connection.

I don't feel my feathers ruffled by your opinion at all - in fact, you
probably should vote with your wallet and change providers.

The issue that you are having is misconfiguration on your part doesn't
constitute a problem with their service if you bought the service
knowing that they didn't support Linux - perhaps you should have asked
them when you signed up. I have postulated on several occasions lately
that calling companies for tech support is often putting you on the
phone with low level technicians incapable of providing anything but
scripted support and if you really want quick answers...the support
boards in open source / free software such as this base are likely to
provide better and quicker answers.

When I was on Sprint Broadband, I ran my own mail server. When I moved
and switched to cox residential and running my own mail server wasn't
allowed, I made the one switch to my configuration and I was back in
business. Time invested - 1 minute.

Anyway, I gave you enough clues to actually fix your configuration but
it would appear that you really wanted a soap box to air out your
complaints.

Craig