hardware

Author: plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Subject: hardware
In a message dated 1/28/2004 9:04:47 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
writes:
>The NIC card is listed in lspci too. Thus, it works too. It says that it is

an
>Intel 82557/8/9 [Ethernet Pro 100]. What do the numbers signify? So is there
>anyway to see if it is working wwithout connecting it to another computer?

Check the kernel messages. I think mine used to say something about the
network board being available. My card was different (SiS735 integrated SiS900)

also try ifconfig-- it may report some data for eth0... but then it may not
if there's no network present. I don't know off-hand. I only actually
networked with a wireless PCMCIA card I tended to pop because it flooded the screen
if left plugged in at boot.