Used to be: Re: Linux in business

Author: Craig White
Subject: Used to be: Re: Linux in business
On Thu, 2004-01-22 at 23:51, Steve Smith wrote:
> Craig White wrote:

> >>Well, I still wouldn't trade my G5 or Mac OSX for anything - even linux.
> >
> > ---
> > you are entitled to your opinion, no matter how flawed ;-)
>
> ... And so it is that all Apple users be they insane or of sound mind
> celebrate suffering and then ask us all to suffer with them, banging
> door-to-door if that's what it takes ...
>
> From "Not all Apple users are idiots, you idiot!" at
>
> There are some who firmly believe I'm easily amused, btw.
>
> Steve
> P.S.
> I really do think it'd be spiffy if Apple released X86-flavored OS X -
> Not for "me" necessarily, just to compete with You Know Who. I think
> it'd stomp XP Pro like iTunes does WMP.

---
say what?

iTunes doesn't compete with WMP - Quicktime is the competitive product
from Apple

And an Apple OS X runing on intel based hardware wouldn't do much good
simply because it would have to run legacy 'DOS' and 'Windows' apps.
That ain't gonna happen. Apple's hardware is quite good, some of it is
cheap enough. The problem isn't the hardware, it's the perception that
Apple isn't Microsoft that drives people to stick with Apple.

The Macintosh OS X UI is probably the weakest of all GUI's now, the
average user hasn't a clue where their documents are going, why they are
going there - much like the early Windows setup. Screens have gotten
larger and Apple still clings to a single menu structure at the top of
the screen (painful to chase a mouse up there) and whereas Apple used to
lead the way on UI, they now sadly have started to incorporate Windows
UI features because there were better ideas such as the multi-paned
finder windows.

Apple falls entirely flat by having having scattered configuration
elements such as Finder options in one menu, Finder Preferences in
another menu, Finder that doesn't print anymore, and separation of other
UI preferences in System Preferences (Dock - Desktop - etc.) Even worse,
it's hard to get Finder preferences to stick for a user or across the
board preferences.

I do have to give them recognition for trying, Rendezvous is good stuff
and Expose is interesting but these kind of ideas have become too far
and few between.

As for iTunes - I also have MusicMatch on my Windows XP system and it
seems to give iTunes a good run for the money...

The article was a good read - thanks

Craig