Stay with RH9? / Compiling Kernel is Better?

Author: der.hans
Subject: Stay with RH9? / Compiling Kernel is Better?
Am 18. Jan, 2004 schw=E4tzte Bryce C so:

> Same thing? In one sense it is. Both windows and most distros of linux
> (RH, SuSE, Deb) are compiled/optimised with the lowest common
> denominator processor in mind. The 386 was the first but now "i386" is
> just one way of indicating the PC x86 architecture. In reality, I
> believe those distros are now compiled for i586 (tried installing MDK6
> on my 486 and it wouldn't run).

debian is still compile for i386.

> However, I don't understand how recompiling the kernel to a _higher_
> level of optimisation will make it work if it didn't not work before. I

Well, if there are problems with the optmization... :).

That's why I suggest using the pre-packaged kernels from the distros. That
means there are likely to be many others running the same code, so bugs are
more likely to be noticed and worked out.

ciao,

der.hans
--=20
#  "The reasons for my decision to quit were myriad, but central to the
#  decision was the realization that there are two kinds of companies:
#  Good ones ask you to think for them.
#  The others tell you to think like them." -- Benjy Feen