Linux Upgrades

Author: David
Subject: Linux Upgrades
On Fri, 16 Jan 2004, Phil Mattison wrote:

> My tale of woe, leading to a request for suggestions: I have a Redhat 7.2=

box I use for PHP/MySQL development, and was thinking it would be nice to =
upgrade so I could take advantage of those nice fonts I hear about in the n=
ewer versions, for the occasional times I use the GUI. I guess a good place=
to start would be the kernel, since other stuff sort of grows out of that.=
(I'd rather not start from scratch with a new boxed set because I already =
have a bunch of stuff configured the way I want, and this seems like a good=
opportunity to learn.) So I find what looks to be the latest stable kernel=
(2.6.1?), download, unzip etc. In the README I find a long list of version=
dependencies (gotta have bin-utils-x.y.z or you're screwed, etc.) After a =
couple of builds on those I get a GCC error (a real problem with GCC, not a=
compile error.) I'm using the GCC version called for in the build instruct=
ions. So then I indulge in a little profanity and throw some things around =
the room. Next step: consult a guru or two. So... any suggestions? Chasing =
a greased pig is not my idea of fun.
>=20
> PS- I've heard a lot about consumer Linux-desktop ambitions, but if that =

is ever going to happen I think this morass of version-dependence has to be=
controlled a little better, and you can't require users to start from scra=
tch every time they upgrade. Linux against Windows is like a Martin-Luther =
King rally against the Luftwafe.
> --

last i checked, redhat has an 'upgrade' option in the install cd's. You=20
would have to do the same thing on windows. you cant go from win98=20
(equivilant of your version of redhat) to winxp any easier. do yourself a=
=20
favor and try that. Once you have upgraded the distro, *then* do the=20
kernel. not the other way around. =20

also, cya. make a backup of any important data.

David

--
"I find your lack of faith disturbing."
--Darth Vader