Linux Upgrades

Author: Phil Mattison
Subject: Linux Upgrades

------=_NextPart_000_001B_01C3DC16.FFE82120

My tale of woe, leading to a request for suggestions: I have a Redhat =
7.2 box I use for PHP/MySQL development, and was thinking it would be =
nice to upgrade so I could take advantage of those nice fonts I hear =
about in the newer versions, for the occasional times I use the GUI. I =
guess a good place to start would be the kernel, since other stuff sort =
of grows out of that. (I'd rather not start from scratch with a new =
boxed set because I already have a bunch of stuff configured the way I =
want, and this seems like a good opportunity to learn.) So I find what =
looks to be the latest stable kernel (2.6.1?), download, unzip etc. In =
the README I find a long list of version dependencies (gotta have =
bin-utils-x.y.z or you're screwed, etc.) After a couple of builds on =
those I get a GCC error (a real problem with GCC, not a compile error.) =
I'm using the GCC version called for in the build instructions. So then =
I indulge in a little profanity and throw some things around the room. =
Next step: consult a guru or two. So... any suggestions? Chasing a =
greased pig is not my idea of fun.

PS- I've heard a lot about consumer Linux-desktop ambitions, but if that =
is ever going to happen I think this morass of version-dependence has to =
be controlled a little better, and you can't require users to start from =
scratch every time they upgrade. Linux against Windows is like a =
Martin-Luther King rally against the Luftwafe.
--
Phil Mattison
Ohmikron Corp.

------=_NextPart_000_001B_01C3DC16.FFE82120

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#e8e8e0>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>My tale of woe, leading to a request =
for=20
suggestions: I have a Redhat 7.2 box I use for PHP/MySQL development, =
and was=20
thinking it would be nice to upgrade so I could take advantage of those =
nice=20
fonts I hear about in the newer versions, for the occasional times I use =
the=20
GUI. I guess a good place to start would be the kernel, since other =
stuff sort=20
of grows out of that. (I'd rather not start from scratch with a new =
boxed set=20
because I already have a bunch of stuff configured the way I want, and =
this=20
seems like a good opportunity to learn.) So I find what looks to be the =
latest=20
stable kernel (2.6.1?), download, unzip etc. In the README I find a long =
list of=20
version dependencies (gotta have bin-utils-x.y.z or you're screwed, =
etc.) After=20
a couple of builds on those I get a GCC error (a real problem with GCC, =
not a=20
compile error.) I'm using the GCC version called for in the build =
instructions.=20
So then I indulge in a little profanity and throw some things around the =
room.=20
Next step: consult a guru or two. So... any suggestions? Chasing a =
greased pig=20
is not my idea of fun.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>PS- I've heard a lot about consumer =
Linux-desktop=20
ambitions, but if that is ever going to happen I think this morass of=20
version-dependence has to be controlled a little better, and you can't =
require=20
users to start from scratch every time they upgrade. Linux against =
Windows is=20
like a Martin-Luther King rally against the Luftwafe.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>--<BR>Phil Mattison<BR>Ohmikron=20
Corp.<BR>480-722-9595 ext.1<BR>602-820-9452 =
Mobile</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_001B_01C3DC16.FFE82120--