Linux and Football

Author: June Tate
Subject: Linux and Football
--=-Gn6wDYiSDx2JnBKNNOuy

On Mon, 2004-01-12 at 07:28, Ted Gould wrote:
> On Sun, 2004-01-11 at 23:33, David Huerta wrote:
> > Still, it wouldn't have hurt to have added a Divx file or something.
>=20
> Uhm, yeah.  Remember that basically Divx is MPEG4 - which is tied up in
> the biggest set of patents and everything else that I've ever seen.=20
> They're trying to figure out how to charge $0.10 a player for using the
> standard alone.  Just because some people are willing to break the law
> to bring that to Linux doesn't make it a good format.  Actually, there
> are very few good, modern video formats for Linux.  Probably MPEG2 is
> best, I think all the basic patents there have expired.
>=20
>         --Ted

MPEG2 would have been a good choice, as well. Of course, they could have
used AVI and used no codec whatsoever (raw frames). =3Dop

What about the Helix suite of tools? They seem rather well supported
right now and can play most of the RealMedia formats that I've come
across -- granted RealMedia isn't free, but it's a codec on Linux that
works legally, AFAICT.

Also, what about Totem's[1] ability to use codecs straight from the
Windows DLLs -- is that considered legal or no?

And since we're on the subject of video codecs, you might want to have a
look at Xiph.org's Ogg Theora[2]. It's still alpha quality, but looks
very promising.

[1] http://www.helixcommunity.org/
[2] http://www.theora.org

--=20