YMMV, but MY Linux desktop stinks

Author: Derek Neighbors
Subject: YMMV, but MY Linux desktop stinks
--=-MNI33s8Th1OSHMDnxjva

On Sat, 2004-01-10 at 14:08, Richard L. Proctor wrote:

> The only way they can access your computer is if you have no firewall, i=

f so, =20
> then you might consider looking into security. You do give them permissi=

on=20
> to access your computer "if" you are connected to their update services. =

=20

I was going to be sarcastic here, but I think you have mistaken this as
a personal attack and are so responding in kind. It was never meant as
a personal attack. Of course I have a firewall. The point is they are
overstepping their bounds, whether or not I take the time to stop them
or not.

> Out of curiosity, what makes you think that just because Microsoft has a=

EULA=20
> that would abuse it, and how do you know that up2date or yast, or what =

ever=20
> other services you may connect to, don't already do this, but just tell=

you=20
> about it?

They are a *CONVICTED* monopolist for one. This tells me they have few
scruples in business. To address your second concern and help prove
that I am not out to get Microsoft. I don't use YAST and if you read
this list you will note I tell countless other people to avoid SuSE at
all cost because they play the proprietary game with a open source
face. As to the service I use to update my computer "apt". I have the
source code for it. So in reviewing that code I can tell what is
doing. Furthermore, the other services you listed didn't give
themselves those rights in a EULA. Microsoft did. I could probably
take legal action against them if they started replacing software on my
machine w/o notifying me.

--=20
Derek Neighbors
GNU Enterprise