Message: 6 - CD sound

Author: fhdavenport
Subject: Message: 6 - CD sound
Okay, I'll pull the cover off this can and have a look for the cable =
from the CD-ROM drive to the mobo. If it's not there, I'm sure I have =
some of these laying around here somewhere.......

There was some discussion here about newbies and the lack of =
communication. Nothing negative, just thoughts about how they cannot be =
helped if they don't speak up. Damned good point. Excuse the length of =
this post.=20

I have three machines and two versions of SuSE Linux. The two newer =
boxes are HP 754n(s), (P4 2.53/533FSB/512M/80Gig WD/HP =
300nDVD&CD-RW/CD-ROM). The older one, (ANTEC 9 bay can w/300W PS/ASUS =
P2B-F/P3@450, Slot one w/Kodiak cooling system, ((I forget the name of =
the cooling system outfit, but they're out of biz anyway))/ 4x 256 DIMM/ =
SB ISA card), I built myself some ten, (?) years ago. It's happy as a =
clam with SuSE 8.1 Pro.

On the two newer machines I disabled the onboard video, bought two =
GeForce4 MX 440 w/TV out. I also bought another 512 DIMM for my =
machine, (the other one is for my 80+ parental units), to make the total =
a gig of RAM. They both started life with WD 80 Gig hdd(s).

When I attempted to rid myself of Windows I wandered over to Fry's and =
bought a second WD 80 gig Drive for my machine, (the test case), and =
yanked the original with XP installed. Just in case.

These share, (peer to peer?), the Cox broadband connection via a Linksys =
cable MODEM and Linksys wired router. I installed the =
wiring/jacks/patch cords, that part was child's play. The older machine =
didn't have a NIC, so I bought Linksys again, (PCI). Also, to switch =
between the old and new machine at my desk I bought a simple Linksys KVM =
setup, (just bang the scroll lock key twice to go from one to the =
other). I have Alex Munro to thank for the advice on the networking =
hardware. He's the first Linux nutter I talked to at the west side =
meeting. He stood there in the rain with me and tried to help. Thank =
you Alex, you're out there somewhere.

At the time, there was some hubbub about Linux being unable to resize an =
NTFS partition. There was a late edition note about a utility somewhere =
to resize an NTFS partition included with SuSE 8.2 Pro, but it didn't =
come up until I had already installed Linux on the new drive. Anyway it =
went swimmingly, (and smoked right along speedwise), until I couldn't =
scan with the HP T-45 on the parallel port. Printing worked fine, I =
figured that out.

Then came the 3D nvidia driver update blues. Then the TV out, (S-Video =
port), didn't work, (at 80+ my folks don't need resolution so much as =
size...it's hooked to their 53 inch Hitachi). The final straw was my =
inability to figure out how to get the CD player to play a CD. Music is =
life to my Dad. I never got to the DVD player, however, the CD burning =
portion of Linux seemed to function as did any USB gear, (Memorex =
thumbdrive, e.g.).

So, I dumped 8.2 Pro, stuck the WinXP drive back in as Master, and the =
second as Slave, (CSEL on HP), and ground my teeth. Ideally, I'd like =
to use the older machine as a server and the newer machinen as clients. =

For Linux to be viable for me, it has to speak CD/DVD player, CD burner, =
firewire webcam, (Orange Micro iBOT, ((pretty fast))), and digital =
camera via USB, (Canon A80). There is also a laptop in my future as =
well as a camcorder. =20

The networking administration part of Linux is not as interesting to me =
as is the possibilities for business investment in it's future. The =
only person I've heard mention this is der hans. Please thank your =
Grandmother again for the cheescake.

I'm slowly unlocking my jaw to give Linux another shot. I also might be =
interested in helping with documentation. I doubt if anyone here has =
trouble understanding me. So who needs a ride to the January westside =
meeting?

Frank Davenport

     =20

=20