Clip art -- straying off-topic

Author: Jeremy C. Reed
Subject: Clip art -- straying off-topic
Why change the subject line? It was on topic, because we were talking
about getting clip art for use with open source systems.

On Fri, 9 Jan 2004, Ed Skinner wrote:

> On Friday 09 January 2004 08:54, Michael Havens wrote:
> > http://office.microsoft.com/clipart/default.aspx?cag=1 if she doesn't know
> > about it Jeremy.

> Ah, such fun. When I follow this link in Konqueror, Microsoft complains:

I used MozillaFirebird.

Mike, this is not any okay solution. After you select the clipart and
click download you are taken to the "Terms of Use" agreement. It says:

NOTE: IF YOU DO NOT HAVE A VALID LICENSE FOR ONE OF THE FOLLOWING
SOFTWARE PRODUCTS (EACH A "SOFTWARE PRODUCT"), YOU ARE NOT AUTHORIZED TO
INSTALL, COPY OR OTHERWISE USE THE SOFTWARE: Office 2003 System, or any
of its applications, or any product which includes Microsoft Clip Gallery
or Microsoft Clip Organizer.

I use open source software. I do not use Office 2003 nor any Microsoft
Clip software.

This EULA also says you may not sell, license or distribute copies of
elements by themselves or as part of any collection, product or service if
the primary value of the product or service is that clip art. And it says
you may not grant customers of your service or product any rights to
distribute or license the clipart. And the EULA says you may not sell or
license or lease the templates. And you can't distribute the templates.
And you can not provide any commercial hosting service with the clipart.

Microsoft does have some free to use products or specifications (like RTF
specification and some typefaces), but this clipart collection is not good
enough.

Jeremy C. Reed
http://bsd.reedmedia.net/