YMMV, but MY Linux desktop stinks

Author: Richard L. Proctor
Subject: YMMV, but MY Linux desktop stinks
On Thursday 08 January 2004 9:25 am, Craig White wrote:

> you are confusing anecdotal feedback as something which truly imparts
> value. Consider a Linux newbie... installs distro 1 can't get hardware a
> and hardware b working properly. He says...I don't think Linux is ready
> for desktop use...my hardware doesn't work. In your case, Mandrake
> worked with your hardware but I assure you that if it were a universal
> benefit, everyone using Linux on the desktop would be there.

I consider it the same I do with a windows user, get out of windows 95 or 98
or me and get into windows xp.....fast!!!

A linux newbie doesn't want to compile new kernels, make symlinks, he just
wants to install his hardware and be done. Oh...Like in windows. What's
wrong with that? He's using an old distro of Redhat, and as explained
before, Redhat bailed and gave it to Fedora.

He's more than welcome to try Mandrake or SuSE or any other distro, but My
personal experience brings me to SuSE and therefore that's what I recommend.

I've used Redhat 7.1 and up, also Mandrake, 8.0 (I believe) and up, and
SuSE as well, can't remember which version I started on that with. The
other's debian, Gentoo, etc, requires command line experience. I don't
like command lines, I like graphical interface, don't ever have to want to

Richard L. Proctor
Krystal Computer Services
PC Repairs & Upgrades
480-699-3098