YMMV, but MY Linux desktop stinks

Author: Craig White
Subject: YMMV, but MY Linux desktop stinks
On Thu, 2004-01-08 at 10:37, Chris Gehlker wrote:
> On Jan 8, 2004, at 9:25 AM, Craig White wrote:
>
> > you are confusing anecdotal feedback as something which truly imparts
> > value.
>
> And you are confusing a direct report of a user's personal experience
> with anecdotal evidence.
>
> I thought Karl's original post was clearly made with the intent to be
> helpful. You keep trying to beat him up. Why is that? Did he shoot your
> dog?

---
There were two opinions - Richard who wants to tell users to use SuSE,
Karl thinks Mandrake is the answer. I responded to both. I know I didn't
say anything to 'beat him up'. Try my distro is nothing but a shot in
the dark.

Richard's idea of maintenance is Windows/Macintosh centric which is to
point and click it through and not have to dirty his mind via the
command line. It's clear why he prefers SuSE (YAST).

In both cases, there is somewhat of a reliance upon 'plug and pray' -
hopefully there is enough proprietary drivers packaged inside the distro
and sufficient auto-detection of the hardware for stuff to just work. If
so, it may very well be a good choice. If not, then we have a problem.
Likewise with the proprietary software that's bundled in the package -
people think that they are installing a free, open source product but
that apparently is not the case. Personally, if I were going to use
proprietary software for my desktop, I would probably use Windows 2000
or XP Professional or Mac OS X.

I suppose that I have gotten used to the idea of a distro not bundling
up the proprietary license stuff (acrobat, ati & nvidia drivers, etc.)
as part of the standard distro and thereby muddying the water of open
source. There is much of this logic laying under this discussion that
hasn't been addressed directly.

As a solution to a problem, it seems like a joke...take my
distro...please.

Craig