PLUG-discuss digest, Vol 1 #4279 - 12 msgs

Author: Augie Grayfox
Subject: PLUG-discuss digest, Vol 1 #4279 - 12 msgs
On Wednesday January 7 2004 6:54 am,=20
wrote:
*v*Message: 6
*v*Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2004 00:31:21 -0700
*v*From: Victor Odhner <>
*v*To:
*v*Subject: YMMV, but MY Linux desktop stinks
*v*Reply-To:
*v*
*v*I can't believe I am getting NO advice on this list.
*v*
*v*I'll say it: Linux is NOT ready for the desktop.
*v*Not mine, for sure.
*v*
*v*Some people manage to hack their way through to
*v*a functional system, but I'm getting nowhere.
*v*And I'm a pretty intrepid hacker.
*v*

*v*This is not rhetoric intended to stir some
*v*discussion. This really is my consistent
*v*experience with Linux on the desktop.
*v*I don't have time for a serious learning
*v*curve, and you apparently have to be in on
*v*some pretty heavy cultural acclimation to
*v*have any success with this.
*v*
*v*Maybe next year?
*v*
*v*Vic
*v*
Vic,
Have you tried any other distro?
I use Suse 8.0 and am very happy with the results. I have sound, cd burne=
r and=20
it recognized my usb printer and scanner with no problems at all.
I use the KDE desktop mgr, and on the OO side I can go in there and view =
and=20
or modify any .doc files through Konqueror or any editor that I choose.

I also have RH 9 on another box and that recognized the built in sound an=
d the=20
network configuration with no tweaking at all.

YES, Linux has a learning curve but if you really think back, how many ye=
ars=20
has it taken you to learn win_xx? If you were really satisfied with it...=
why=20
switch?

I switched because, I don't mind getting paid to FIX win_xx problems, and=
=20
there are very many of them, but I sure as hell won't tolerate those prob=
lems=20
on my home system.

Good luck.

--=20
Augie Grayfox
grayfox78 at cox dot net

"When things go wrong, don't go with them" Anonymous