apt and purging "iconsistent" packages

Author: der.hans
Subject: apt and purging "iconsistent" packages
Am 04. Jan, 2004 schw=E4tzte Deepak Saxena so:

> Attempted to 'apt-get upgrade' my knoppix system into an unstable
> distro and everything seemed to go OK until it tried to install joe.
>
> Here's a log of what happens when I try to manually install it:

Deepak,

try downgrading joe.

apt-get install joe=3D2.8-20

It's during post-removal that you're running into the bug, so I doubt
that'll help in the end.

It sucks that debian gets itself in this state and apt won't let you remove
the package that won't go in properly.

Have you filed a bug report against joe?

http://bugs.debian.org/joe

Looks like the joe maintainer needs to update bugs more often.

********

********

'
> and it automatically tried to install joe. Did an 'apt-get remove menu'
> and from that it looks like menu is actually installed, so joe is
> pointing to the wrong directory for the "update-menus" command. The
> problem I'm having now is that anytime I apt-get install anything, the
> system tries to complete the installation of the joe package. I tried to
> do an apt-get remove, and I get:

Look in /var/lib/dpkg/info for the install scripts. joe.postrm is the one
having probs. Keep a copy of the original script, but see if you can fix it=
=2E
What's the line with update-menus in it?

Have you verified /usr/bin/update-menus is executable? It's binary on my
system, so it shouldn't be a bad shell path.

If you figure out how to fix it, please add a patch to the bug report.

ciao,

der.hans
--=20
#  We now return you to your regularly scheduled paranoia...