Guide to get cable modem working with debian

Author: Eric "Shubes"
Subject: Guide to get cable modem working with debian
--------------050500040109040806000302

You might want to check out http://smoothwall.org/ too. I only know of
it, nothing about it. Version 2.0 (final) was recently released.

devin rankin wrote:

>I would go here...
>
>http://www.clarkconnect.org/
>
>They have a free firwall/gatway/router that runs on older minimal
>hardware. They have a good support forum and setup with a cable modem
>is as easy as selecting "cable modem" from the setup menu. It will get
>new IP addresses from the Cox DHCP when ever they are issued. It will
>hand out IP addresses to computers on the inside of the network and do
>network address translation to get internet packets to the right box.
>
>Good luck
>
>Devin
>

>On Tue, 2003-12-30 at 20:35, Rob Wultsch wrote:
>

>>I have looked around the net a bit and can not figure what I do and do
>>not need to know.
>>
>>I am building a desktop/ firewall for my girlfriend that has cox. As
>>her mother hates me I will not have access to the cable modem before I
>>drop off the computer, and will not have a ton of time to configure the
>>computer before getting something thrown at me. The computer that I am
>>giving away will be protecting the rest of the net from the virus ridden
>>piece of s* that my girlfriend's mom will not let me fix.All I know
>>about the cable modem is that it is not a router and that it has cat-5
>>out. I have no experiece with such things so I am hoping that you could
>>tell me of the ramifications *or point me to a guide*.
>>
>>Should I do anything special when I install debian? (should I tell it a
>>bs static ip or what?)
>>Will I need to find drivers?
>>How much time should I assume that I will need to invest to get firewall
>>builder setup?
>>
>>Thanks for any help possible.

-Eric 'shubes'
"There is no such thing as the People;
 it is a collectivist myth.
 There are only individual citizens
 with individual wills
 and individual purposes."
-William E. Simon (1927-2000),
    Secretary of the Treasury (1974-1977)
 "A Time For Truth" (1978), pg. 237

--------------050500040109040806000302

<head>
<title></title>
</head>
You might want to check out <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://smoothwall.org/">http://smoothwall.org/</a> too. I only know of
it, nothing about it. Version 2.0 (final) was recently released.<br>
devin rankin wrote:<br>
<pre wrap="">I would go here...

<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.clarkconnect.org/">http://www.clarkconnect.org/</a>

They have a free firwall/gatway/router that runs on older minimal
hardware. They have a good support forum and setup with a cable modem
is as easy as selecting "cable modem" from the setup menu. It will get
new IP addresses from the Cox DHCP when ever they are issued. It will
hand out IP addresses to computers on the inside of the network and do
network address translation to get internet packets to the right box.

Good luck

Devin

    <pre wrap="">I have looked around the net a bit and can not figure what I do and do
[...]

  </pre>
<pre class="moz-signature" cols="72">--