book list

Author: George Gambill
Subject: book list
My personal favorite:

LINUX IN A NUTSHELL - O'REILLY

***

>From prior posts,

For RedHat users- I have found "Red Hat Linux Survival Guide" by Mohammed
Kabir to be the most useful so far of several books I have bought on the
subject. Very practical and well organized. Many Linux books contain good
information but I can never find it again when I go back to look it up. This
one has yet to frustrate me.

***

Unix made Easy' by John Muster. The cover says that he is a curriculum
developer and educator. I choose this over 'Learn Unix in 24 Hours' and
another book. I'm so excited

***

Running Linux. It contains all the command line commands, with all of their
options, and some examples of how to use some of the commands. Again, this
is a "make sure you know what you want to do" books.

***

Dr. Linux ... It is basically a printed version of all the hot-to's. Its a
little dated, but should help.

***

Try the Linux Desk Reference, second edition, by Scott Hawkins. ISBN
0-13-061989-2. This book, coupled with the man pages and help system is
great!

***

Again I recommend O'Reilly's LPI Linux Certification for its nice
'mid-level' explanations...

***

For a general end-user introduction, I would suggest The Red Hat (pick your
version) Bible (from John Wiley), and for reference, Running Linux, Linux in
a Nutshell (both from O'Reilly), and Linux Command Reference (from Sybex).
There is some overlap between Linux and a Nutshell and Linux Command
Reference, but Nutshell is better for explanations and Command Reference is
better for examples of common commands and switches.

By the way, I have an extra Linux Cookbook (a VERY Debian-centric book, but
with information that you can use with any distro), and I'll bring it to the
westside meeting tomorrow so someone can draw for it. I also have an extra
Running Linux if no one minds a few notes in the margins.

***

For good book prices online, see http://www.bookpool.com