Book List

Author: Austin Godber
Subject: Book List
Craig Brooksby wrote:
> The above posting prompted me to write in. Apologies if this topic has
> already been beat to death. I am looking for book recommendations.

I have finally found a Linux book that I like. It is called "Linux: The
Textbook." It assumes no linux experience to begin with but includes enough
interesting and diverse material that even long after being a newbie you will
still be able to pick up a tip or two.

    Most linux books include too much GUI stuff ... as far as I am concerned.  I
would argue that most well designed GUIs are rather intuitive and don't require
page after page of screenshots for explaination.  Another problem with GUI stuff
in books, is it gets out of date pretty fast ... most command line tools have
been around for ever, and are common among all the distros.

    This book won't have any distribution specific information, but it covers a
large amount of material effectively ... from general concepts (like processes,
file system structure) to specific information about shell programming and other
development on a Linux machine.

    There are a few chapters I really like, basic and advanced file processing and
pipes and redirection.

Austin