what is wrong with updatedb

Author: Jeremy C. Reed
Subject: what is wrong with updatedb
On Thu, 1 Jan 2004, Michael Havens wrote:

> If /etc/mtab is an auto-generated file then how do I fix the fact that Debian
> does not see it? Should I rm the file then reboot the system or enter a
> command to regenerate the file?
>
> On Thursday 01 January 2004 10:11
>
> root@bmike1:/home/knoppix# updatedb
> /usr/bin/find: error in /etc/mtab: none: No such file or directory

Mike,

We had same discussion in December with your thread "Got a small
problem."

Read your updatedb man page. And have a look at the /usr/bin/updatedb
script.

updatedb uses find(1).

find (from GNU findutils) has checks for determining type of filesystem
that the files are on. This is where the mtab is looked at.

Make sure your /etc/mtab is clean. Some systems forget to clean it at boot
time, so it may have duplicated or old entries.

Or get your updatedb to call find with different options.

Maybe use the ---prunefs and/or --prunepaths options with updatedb.

Maybe like:

updatedb ---prunefs "proc NFS nfs usbfs capifs"

Maybe also try that with adding "vfat" too.

And maybe try with --prunepaths="/mnt/hda1"

Good luck,

Jeremy C. Reed
http://bsd.reedmedia.net/