what is wrong with updatedb

Author: Craig White
Subject: what is wrong with updatedb
On Thu, 2004-01-01 at 10:11, Craig White wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-01-01 at 01:11, Michael Havens wrote:
> > bmike1@bmike1:~$ su
> > Password:
> > root@bmike1:/home/knoppix# updatedb
> > /usr/bin/find: error in /etc/mtab: none: No such file or directory
> > root@bmike1:/home/knoppix# jpico /etc/mtab
> > /etc/mtab        Row 1    Col 1        0:22        Ctrl-G for help
> > /dev/hda5 / ext3 rw,errors=remount-ro 0 0
> > /dev/root.old /initrd ext2 rw 0 0
> > none /proc proc rw 0 0
> > devpts /dev/pts devpts rw,gid=5,mode=620 0 0
> > /proc/bus/usb none usbfs rw 0 0
> > capifs /dev/capi capifs rw,mode=0666 0 0
> > /dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1 vfat rw 0 0

> > This is probably where I make it so I can pull files out of hda1. Can I make
> > it so I can copy files out of there but not write to the area?
> ----
> 1 - probably a bad idea to use editor on mtab file. This file is auto
> created by mounts either from fstab or by manually mounting command.
>
> 2 - man mount - how are you mounting /dev/hda1 - through fstab? change
> it to r instead of r/w and it should make it read only.
>
> 3 - perhaps it is at this point, you should also consider the 'user'
> option so that you can mount it as your 'login' (user) and not as root
> so you will not have any issues with permissions (see previous email)

---
and then replying to my own message...

it occurred to me that /mnt/hda1 is owned by root.root and mounting it
as user mike isn't gonna work (unless mike is in root group - not the
best idea).

I also tend to make mounts a little closer to my HOME directory and thus
put them in the /home tree...

Thus you might want to make a directory /home/windows (making sure that
your login name has permissions to read & write to this directory either
as owner or group) and then issue the mount command...

mount -t vfat /dev/hda1 /home/windows

but for this to work you should...
1 - umount /mnt/hda1
2 - edit/create an entry in /etc/fstab similar to...
/dev/hda1   /home/windows    vfat    user,r(or rw)        0 0