RAM for LTSP

Author: Steve Smith
Subject: RAM for LTSP
Kevin wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-12-30 at 11:22, Patrick Fleming wrote:
>
>>VMWare also runs into a limit of 1g. Add all your running VMWare
>>instances and all the VM machine instances and you run into that wall
>>pretty fast. I'm running several instances of Win 2k using the K12LTSP
>>packages and have had the pleasure of meeting the 1g limit.
>

> Yuck. Does that mean all the RAM carved out for guest OS's must add up
> to 1GB or less?

Yes, 1GB if you're using VMware Workstation.From their website:

Memory

     * Up to 1GB, depending on host memory
     * Maximum of 1GB total available for all virtual machines

If you use VMware GSX Server instead of Workstation it gets better.
Quoting
http://www.vmware.com/support/gsx25/doc/intro_sysreqs_VMspecs_gsx.html

Memory
Up to 2000MB of memory per virtual machine, depending upon host
operating system, the host system's configuration, the types of
applications running on the host and the amount of memory on the host.
VMware testing has determined the following memory limits for a virtual
machine, based on the host operating system on which the virtual machine
is running:
     *
       For Windows Server 2003 and Windows 2000 hosts: up to 1600MB per
virtual machine, depending on host memory
     *
       For Linux hosts with kernels in the 2.4.x series: up to 2000MB
per virtual machine, depending on host memory
     *
       For Windows NT and Linux hosts with kernels in the 2.2.x series:
up to 1300MB per virtual machine, depending on host memory

HTH,
Steve