backing up partitions with dd

Author: Kevin
Subject: backing up partitions with dd
On a dual boot box, I have the following partitions:

/dev/hda1 Fat C:\ (1GB)
/dev/hda2 Ext2 /boot (100MB)
/dev/hda3 Ext2 / (2GB)
/dev/hda4 Extended
/dev/hda5 Linux swap

While booted to Linux, can I backup hda1 to my file server like this:

  # mount myserver:/backups /mnt/myserver
  # dd if=/dev/hda1 of=/mnt/myserver/wormdows.part
    {looong wait}
  # umount /mnt/myserver

Then, can I test it by blowing away hda1 and restoring it thusly:

  # fdisk /dev/hda
    > 1
  # mount myserver:/backups /mnt/myserver
  # dd if=/mnt/myserver/wormdows.part of=/dev/hda1
    {looong wait}
  # umount /mnt/myserver
  # reboot

What is the likelihood of this working and wormdows booting happily
afterward? Is there a better way to get a full partition image (not
just file backups)? Already tried g4u, but it doesn't like my NICs.

...Kevin