Advise on Multifunction printer/fax

Author: Lee Einer
Subject: Advise on Multifunction printer/fax
My 2 cents-

I currently run Mandrake 8.2 on my desktop. I have a scanner, printer
and fax modem which all work nicely, although they are separate rather
than an all-in-one unit. My printer is a HP Deskjet 932C, and it works
just dandy with Linux. The only issue I have ever had with printers
under Linux was with a Lexmark which used Windows software to monitor
ink usage, and I junked it rather than deal with Windows.

With regard to scanners, scsi is nice, and I use an Epson perfection 636
scsi which works great either under XSane or the GIMP. Parallel port
scanners under Linux (the kind that share with the printer) are to be
feared, I think, but the place to go and find out which scanners work
best for Linux is

http://www.sane-project.org/

As far as faxmodems go, just make sure that you have a real modem and
not a winmodem. Many modems now state on the box if they are Linux
compatible (progress!)

My only grievances are that StarOffice does not communicate with my
scanner, and that KDEPrintFax does not cooperate with XSane, s I can
fax, but I have to save the scan as a postscript file and then use
KDEPrintfax to send it rather than scanning and faxing in one operation
either with StarOffice or XSane.

--

Lee Einer
Dos Manos Jewelry