OSS or ALSA in use: How can I tell?

Author: Bryce C
Subject: OSS or ALSA in use: How can I tell?
--=-qNVDwkJDkkAdtKncYpr8

If ALSA/OSS is installed as a module(s), just running lsmod will have a
great list of modules starting with snd. You might also try running
amixer and, I think, it'll fail if you're using OSS or give you a
listing of all the mixer levels and settings if you're using ALSA.
Just my $.02, go with ALSA if you can. Besides being non-commercial
(fight the establishment!), but it's newer with better support for most
cards. Also, I chose to use it (well, switch over actually) in
preparation for the 2.6 kernel that include the alsa-drivers so, I now
have my system setup and ready and even using alsa making for a
smooth(er) transition.
Hope that helps.

On Wed, 2003-12-17 at 11:32, Ed Skinner wrote:
> Is there a quick way to tell if the sound subsystem is using OSS or ALSA?=

=20
> Something shell-level would be great.
> TIA

--=20