FYI Samba 2.2.7 Updated to 3.0 Presents Permission Issues w/…

Author: Sanjay Darisi
Subject: FYI Samba 2.2.7 Updated to 3.0 Presents Permission Issues w/ 3.0
--------------050103000008080809040302

I've upgraded to Samba 3.0 and changing passwords from win2k machines
broke. After upgrading to 3.0, I can no longer change domain passwords
from windows machines. It says 'You do not have permissions to change
password' . Any ideas about what is happening and how to overcome that???

Thank you,
Sanjay.

George Gambill wrote:

>Yesterday I updated (rpm -U...) a RH 8.0 Samba Server from Samba 2.2.7 to
>Samba 3.0.
>
>Suddenly I hit permission issues (read only) when accessing from Windows 2K.
>This had never been an issue with 2.2.7. Once I set the 3.0 permissions
>(chmod XXX) life became good again.
>
>I am thinking that under 2.2.7, the permissions were ignored, while under
>3.0 they are not.
>
>Not a big deal once understood but for a while there I was thinking I should
>have stayed with 2.2.7.
>
>BTW, 3.0 seems noticeably faster, like maybe 3 (or more) times.
>
>Also, yesterday I setup RH9.0 on a new drive (as in format that puppy).
>Then, I upgraded to Samba 3.0 with no problems except the above mentioned
>permission issue. So far so good.

--------------050103000008080809040302

<head>
<title></title>
</head>
I've upgraded to Samba 3.0 and changing passwords from win2k machines
broke. After upgrading to 3.0, I can no longer change domain passwords
from windows machines. It says 'You do not have permissions to change
password' . Any ideas about what is happening and how to overcome
that???<br>
Thank you,<br>
Sanjay.<br>
George Gambill wrote:<br>
cite="mid7147122CD5FDD711B1DF000629CEEAA170F358@EXCHANGE01">
<pre wrap="">Yesterday I updated (rpm -U...) a RH 8.0 Samba Server from Samba 2.2.7 to