FYI Samba 2.2.7 Updated to 3.0 Presents Permission Issues w/…

Author: George Gambill
Subject: FYI Samba 2.2.7 Updated to 3.0 Presents Permission Issues w/ 3.0
Yesterday I updated (rpm -U...) a RH 8.0 Samba Server from Samba 2.2.7 to
Samba 3.0.

Suddenly I hit permission issues (read only) when accessing from Windows 2K.
This had never been an issue with 2.2.7. Once I set the 3.0 permissions
(chmod XXX) life became good again.

I am thinking that under 2.2.7, the permissions were ignored, while under
3.0 they are not.

Not a big deal once understood but for a while there I was thinking I should
have stayed with 2.2.7.

BTW, 3.0 seems noticeably faster, like maybe 3 (or more) times.

Also, yesterday I setup RH9.0 on a new drive (as in format that puppy).
Then, I upgraded to Samba 3.0 with no problems except the above mentioned
permission issue. So far so good.