Debian apt question

Author: Derek Neighbors
Subject: Debian apt question
Jim said:
> To properly install squid with snmp support in a non Debian enviroment
> one is supposed to use --enable-snmp option when installing from source
> but if apt-get is used how can I tell if that was part of the
> installation? Is that the problem?

There appears to be a php4-snmp but not a squid-snmp. Following how most
Debian stuff is packaged I would suspect a squid-snmp, but maybe it is
included in the normal package. Have you made sure you have snmp libs and
such installed? apt-cache search squid |grep snmp produces
libsnmp-session-perl, do you know if that was a "suggested" package for
squid? If so, you probably need to grab that in order for snmp to work.
I dont have squid installed and don't use so I can't answer directly.

> Another item that is part of the install by source but I can not locate
> it when installed by apt-get is cachemgr.cgi which is supposed to
> provide a web page with how the cache is doing for the squid server.

apt-get install squid-cgi to get the cachemgr (iirc) Remember Debian is
very modular in the way it builds packages. :)

-Derek