Remote access

Author: Craig White
Subject: Remote access
On Thu, 2003-12-11 at 08:25, Craig Brooksby wrote:
> <newbiezone>
> Anyone with experience and advice? Just point me in the right
> direction, please.
>
> I work part-time downtown (on Windows platform), and sometimes need a
> file sitting on my Linux box, at home.
>
> What I need is PuTTY? http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/
>
> Will it work like this? ("Ports" and whether or not they are "open" is
> still way over my head.) MyRH9box --> LnksysRouter --> CoxCbl -->
> Internet --> MyWindowsBox
>
> I suppose I should expect to get command line, not my Gnome Desktop.
>
> Many thanks.
> </newbiezone>

----
one more thing...

your Linksys router would have to port forward port 22 to your Red Hat 9
box. For example, if your RH9 box has an ip address of 192.168.1.100
(probably best to set it manually rather than use DHCP if you intend to
get into port forwarding)..

source ip = * (anywhere or if you know specifically what your work IP
address is - the public ip not the ip of your private LAN space you
could limit the connections)
destination ip = 192.168.1.100
source port 22
destination port 22