Trouble with Samba

Author: Brian Cluff
Subject: Trouble with Samba
Daniel McAferty wrote:
> I am trying to set up Samba on RedHat 8.
> I want to mount a drive on a PC file server to
> my linux server, Is this possible with samba?
> I can't find any doco to go this direction, only sharing
> linux dirs to PC. Please point me in right direction.

What you are looking for is the command smbmount, the regular mount
command can also mount smb shares, but it just acts as a wrapper for
smbmount.
Mounting can be as simple as:
smbmount //computername/share /mnt
Although you should look through the man page for smbmount to make sure
that you have some options set correctly. Of particualar interest will
be the uid, gid, username, password (if you plan to put it in the fstab)
and probably fmask/dmask options.
you'll end up with something like (Using the der.hans variable
convention :):
smbmount //anka/c /mnt -o uid=fred,gid=fred,username=fred
that will prompt you for freds's password and mount drive c on the
machine named anka on linux directory /mnt

Brian Cluff