Does anyone have experience with an SN41G2 system?

Author: Emmanuel Gravel
Subject: Does anyone have experience with an SN41G2 system?
On Sat, 2003-11-22 at 21:55, Craig White wrote:
> On Sat, 2003-11-22 at 17:58, Emmanuel Gravel wrote:
> > Just bought this shuttle XPC for my new Linux system. Installed the CPU,
> > memory, HD, floppy, CDRW. Plug monitor, keyboard and power. LED on the
> > board comes on (so there's power on the system). Press the power button,
> > nothing. Absolutely nothing. Is this just a dud system or is this
> > salvageable?
> >
> ---
> I have several Shuttle systems - I like them - they work.
>
> Like any system that you build, you somewhat have to know what is going
> on.
>
> Typically a system won't work if there isn't video hardware - which all
> of the Shuttle's that I have, have an SiS chipset with the SiS video
> hardware which is more of a challenge. I would assume that the Shuttle
> you are dealing with has built-in video so that shouldn't be the
> problem. Perhaps the memory is bad or you bent pins on the processor.
>
> When dealing with problems such as this...reduce everything to the least
> amount of variables...i.e. disconnect floppy/HD/CD cables from mother
> board (with power off naturally) and the system should post.
> Remove/reinsert memory, remove, reconnect CPU/fan. Fan MUST be plugged
> into motherboard to remove heat from CPU.

The motherboard is nVidia nForce2 based, and has 2 VGA ports plus an
S-Video port that'll go pretty much unused. CPU is an Athlon 2600+ and I
double and triple checked it, it has no physical problems. Plus,
typically, it'll power-up but whine like a school girl if any of the
above is bad (CPU, memory, video).

Here's what I just tested: I used my multimeter to check the resistance
on the power and reset button's outputs. Infinite when not pressed, 0
when pressed, as expected. I checked the motherboard headers for these
buttons. Reset has something like 60 Kohm. Power has 0. I think we have
a short, unless there's something I don't know. Anyone know what it's
supposed to be before I RMA it?

Thanks!

Emmanuel