routing and defualt gateways

Author: Jim
Subject: routing and defualt gateways
One one of my Debian systems running kernel 2.4.22 has two nics
connected to 2 different networks, the problem is that when I have a
defualt gateway listed for both of the nics in /etc/network/interfaces
then there is defualt route created automically when the machine
restarts.

When I enter "ip route", the defualt route looks like "default via
defualt.gateway.ip dev eth1" and there is one listed for eth0.

I want all connectivity (maily internet access) to go out of eth1 and
not try to use eth0.

I could create startup script to delete the defualt route statement for
eth0 which would seem to fix the problem or I could delete the defualt
gateway listed in /etc/network/interfaces for eth0 although I do not
want to break any connectivity on that side of the network.

Any suggetions?

Jim