Possible RHES alternative

Author: Steve Smith
Subject: Possible RHES alternative
wrote:
> # One immediate problem will be bandwidth. The Beauregard Parish Library is a
> small parish (county) library in rural Louisiana with a single lowly T-1
> connection to the world. Even with BitTorrent, serving up six or seven full ISO
> images will get insane very fast if the word spreads very far. So PLEASE! For
> the love of all that is Good, Holy, Just and generally pleasing to the Great
> Penguin, *DO NOT SUBMIT THIS PAGE TO SLASHDOT!!*
>
> Nice... This seems like a very cool distro if it does ever gets off the ground.
> I am very interested in your impressions of it...

I ran a test install of Whitebox under VMware workstation 3.x today and
had no problems at all. It was very much like installing Redhat 9 or 8
except for the logos and "advertisements". My first impression is that
it's quite nice. BTW, the new FTP mirror is plenty fast -
ftp://mirror.physics.ncsu.edu/pub/whitebox I had the whole shootin'
match in about 45 minutes (binarys only).

I'll probably dink around with it some more tomorrow. I'm looking for
something to inflict Novell's Linux Services beta on :-)

Steve
Although "we" own a copy of RHEL 2.1 (for $799 fer crissakes) I haven't
personally installed it and can't offer a comparison - I find Mr. Hat's
new buddy, Onerous EULA, repulsive. Our 2.1 is already installed on one
box anyway. One must purchase one ludicrously expensive license per box.

Steve