ATI 9600 + SuSE 8.2 = Grayer hair

Author: plug
Subject: ATI 9600 + SuSE 8.2 = Grayer hair
Sorry for taking so long in getting back. http://www.linuxquestions.org/qu=
estions/showthread.php?s=3D&threadid=3D38634&perpage=3D15&pagenumber=3D1 =
is the short answer. The problem is apparently related to the video card =
and the KT400 chipset trying to run in AGP 3.0 (8X) mode, and the kernel =
not liking it. Posted on page 4 are the following instructions:
Install the latest Drivers (3.2.5) rpm -Uhvi fglrx----xxxx----3.2.5
cd /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod
use your favorite editor once here to open the file agpgart_be.c.

Depending on what chipset you have (try a cat /proc/pci) you need to
find the chipset that matches your cat /proc/pci device id (it should be =
right at the top of the read out. for instance my chipset id is a via 8377 =
so I went to line 5847 and changed the text on that line from "via_generic_=
setup" to "via_kt400_setup". After you find your device ID just do search =
on the document ("8377") was what I did and the line that you need to =
change is 5 lines below that identifier.

Save the changes

while in this directory (lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod) run ./Make.sh

cd .. (/lib/modules/fglrx)

do a ./Make_Install

run fglrxconfig and remember to use the inernal AGPGART (N) option on that =
line.

I found these instructions to work fairly well on SuSE 8.2. The only =
problem I ran into personally, was that SuSE installed a AMD kernel, so I =
had to make some modifications to get my kernel module to compile:
cp /boot/vmlinuz.config /usr/src/linux/.config
cp /boot/vmlinuz.version.h /usr/src/linux/include/linux
cp /boot/vmlinuz.autoconf.h /usr/src/linux/include/linux
cd /usr/src/linux
make cloneconfig dep

Once I did that, I was able to get everything working, or so I thought... =
glxgears worked like a champ, but I met with much frustration the first =
time I fired up Enemy Territory. It looks as though I ran into the same =
problem that a gentleman by the name of Tim Lee (tlee5794) ran into; =
"firegl_FreeBuffer() failed" errors. His solution was to upgrade his =
kernel to 2.4.21-99, and it seems that everything works swimmingly, for =
him. I was unable to find a simple way of getting kernel version =
2.4.21-99 for SuSE 8.2. I did see that it is available for SuSE 9.0, so I =
have resigned myself to wait until SuSE 9.0 is available for FTP download, =
this weekend... In the meantime, I will have to play Enemy Territory on =
Windows... *shudder* To be fair, it seems that my hardware is just =
extremely new; even Windows had some problems getting everything working. =
It's been so long since I had a hardware refresh, I'd forgotten how much =
fun it can be to try and find drivers for everything...

If anyone is interested in my findings under SuSE 9.0, please let me know. =
I plan on updating that machine as soon as possible...

>>> 11/18/03 12:16AM >>>

On Sunday 16 November 2003 9:18 pm, plug wrote:
> SuSE 9 DOES support the Radeon 9600. However, only in 2D mode... So,
> after a great deal more horsing around, I managed to get full 3D
> acceleration working. If anyone is interested, I can give fairly user
> friendly instructions, now... -Erik Bixby

I wouldn't mind hearing about it.

--=20
Richard L. Proctor
Krystal Computer Services