PHP installation problem

Author: Charlie Bullen
New-Topics: samba and browse list
Subject: PHP installation problem
I have a Mandrake 9.1 installation that I am attepmting to install PHP4
on. I start with the following tarball, php-4.3.4.tar.gz.Unzipping and
un taring go fine, but when I go to ./configure , I get an error message
as follows,

checking for flex... lex
checking for yywrap in -ll... no
checking lex output file root... ./configure: line 2425: lex: command
not found
configure: error: cannot find output from lex; giving up

I then opened up the configuration file and went to line 2425 and find
the following:

# The minimal lex program is just a single line: %%. But some broken
lexes
# (Solaris, I think it was) want two %% lines, so accommodate them.
echo '%%
%%' | $LEX
if test -f lex.yy.c; then
ac_cv_prog_lex_root=lex.yy
elif test -f lexyy.c; then
ac_cv_prog_lex_root=lexyy
else
{ echo "configure: error: cannot find output from $LEX; giving up"
1>&2; exit 1; }

My interpretation of this is that my installation doesn't have lex
installed. Does this make sense? If this is so, what is lex and how can
I get it? Is there any other reason why this install may be failing?

Normally, if I wanted PHP to be installed, I would just either install
it at the time I was installing the operating system, but this time i
deliberatly did not install it as I am working through "Sams teach
yourself PHP MySQL and Apachee in 24 hours" and the installation is
part of the learning process. As with all education, you never know what
you may have to learn in order to learn what you are trying to learn.

Charlie