New Debian Install / Network Settings

Author: John Tynan
Subject: New Debian Install / Network Settings
Hi all,

I just wanted to write to say I was able to install a
new hard drive and am now back up to speed with a new
Debian install. I have the following questions:

1) When Linux starts, it goes directly into Window
Maker (or, if I exit Window Maker I go directly into
TWM). I tried finding and editing the .xsession file
using Midnight Commander but with no success. Am I
looking in the wrong place? Are there other ways
around this?

2) The network setting issues from last time are still
present. While I know that Marcia, Mike and others had
proposed some solutions, my steps toward a resolution
are a incremental at this point.

I was able to send the results of netstat to a text
file but was unable to copy the text file to a dos
formatted floppy. Basically Netstat told me that the
destination was 192.168.1.0 and the gateway was
0.0.0.0. This does not seem quite right.

I am using static IP addresses on my network, as
opposed to DHCP.

Thanks for your advice. I'll keep trying.

John T.