Linux Advocacy

Author: Chris Gehlker
Subject: Linux Advocacy
On Nov 2, 2003, at 10:02 PM, David Demland wrote:

> Remember the only reason that Microshaft is being hit with all the
> major
> security problems is because it is the largest target.

I've heard this over and over but most people who have studied the
issue reject that reasoning. I think MS is clearly the softest target.
Ordinary users are running as root and CDs have auto-start enabled by
default. Remember the first hole discovered in XP was some wide open
protocol for talking to refrigerators that MS had put in case someone
wanted to use XP for household automation and some refrigerator maker
wanted to accommodate them.

That said, it is clearly true that it is the MS applications,
especially Word and Outlook, but also IIS, that are the source of most
of the problems.