Linux Advocacy

Author: Chris Gehlker
Subject: Linux Advocacy
On Nov 2, 2003, at 9:52 PM, wrote:

> In a message dated 11/2/03 4:16:15 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
> writes:
>

>> If you keep Windows patched and don't install every piece of spy-ware
>> that you can find on the internet it's not so unstable/insecure that
>> avoiding those problems
>
> IME, Windows 9x (the systems that are likely to be switched over
> rather than
> shelling out USD100+ for a new OS) tends to rot even under
> normal-light use.
> It usually takes inside of 6 months before IE flakes out for me (lots
> of
> 'MSHTML' error dialogues within moments of starting the browser).

This could be. I've never been a heavy Windows 9X user myself. It
certainly makes the case for Linux more compelling if Windows is that
fragile. I certainly had the impression that most Win 9x users were
content. I remember the big deal with people at the computer stores at
midnight when win 95 came out. Since then I keep hearing about how MS
can't get people to upgrade until they buy new hardware and the upgrade
is forced upon them.

If people are ready to change their OS, it is going to be easy to
persuade them to go to linux.