We need more Linux users

Author: plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Subject: We need more Linux users
On Sun, 2 Nov 2003, der.hans wrote:

> Am 31. Oct, 2003 schw=E4tzte Don Calfa so:
>=20
> > Just an observation:
> >
> > On the websites I manage, Windows 95 users share 1.2% to 1.5% of the OS
> > base where Linux has a .2% share.
> >
> > IE has anywhere from 90% to 94% with Netscape at avg 4%.
> >

> > Do we know what the real share percentage is?
>=20
> No real way to know that. It's insignificant enough to be irrelevant. We
> need to change that.
>=20
> InstallFests are a good way of boosting the GNU/Linux numbers. At 25 to
> 100 boxen per InstallFest, though, that's not gonna change things anytime
> soon...
>=20
> Knoppix is great, but we're not AOHell and can't afford the buckage to gi=

ve

$
> platforms. Enter GNUwinII :).
>=20
> http://gnuwin.epfl.ch/en/index.html
>=20
> ciao,
>=20
> der.hans

A problem wit a few promenant gnu programs is their windows versions
suck. Gaim under linux is my favorite client under any os, however it is no=
stable under windows and it does not have many of the normal featues.

Also overlapping programs hurt rather than help the cause...so no evolution=
,
just mozilla and only the latest version.

A bad impression is worse than no impression at all.