On different network, X programs start very slow

Author: Robert Ambrose
Subject: On different network, X programs start very slow
What is the value of your DISPLAY environment variable on the client
system?

What are you doing for authentication for X clients, i.e. xhost/xauth et
al?

What about a search or domain parameter in /etc/resolv.conf? Is your
DHCP server configured to hand out the domain name/are you using a domain
name on the local network?

How long does it take to do forward and reverse lookups on your
hostname/IP address?

Can you do a tcpdump capture while starting the X app?

rna