Slow system

Author: Austin Godber
Subject: Slow system
Kevin Brown wrote:
>> ~ I bet you run cronjobs, but just don't know it.
>> ~
>> ~ Austin
>> ~
>> When would it have time to? I never leave it on except that one day.
>> Besides all that I thought that cronjobs were run in the3 middle of
>> the night.
>

> Check cron.daily, cron.weekly, cron.monthly.
>
> Those tasks are handled by anacron on RH boxen and so aren't minute
> specific, but are timed against how long has it been since they last ran.

What he is saying is that ... even though you don't leav it on ... and it wasn't
on when it was supposed to run ... it knows that is _should_ have run ... so it
will run sometime after you have booted up ... perhaps right after you boot up.
Thus making your machine seem slow.

After you boot up ... and it is in X or whatever, let it sit a few minutes and
after it seems to you that things have loaded ... is there a bunch of disk access?

Don't worry, cron jobs are good!

Austin