More on: Help with Red Hat 9 Install

Author: Craig White
Subject: More on: Help with Red Hat 9 Install
On Thu, 2003-10-23 at 21:40, Chris Gehlker wrote:
> On Thursday, October 23, 2003, at 09:05 PM, Kevin Brown wrote:
>
> > Chris Gehlker wrote:
> >> I found this on the web:
> >> I don't have a Device section in my XF86Config file so now I'm really
> >> confused.

> > 4.3.0:
> >
> >     Support (accelerated) for the 964 (revisions 0 and 1), 968,
> > Trio32, Trio64, Trio64, Trio64V+, Trio64UV+, Aurora64V+, Trio64V2, and
> > PLATO/PX is provided by the "s3" driver (however, only models using
> > the IBM RGB 524, Texas Instruments 3025, or an internal TrioDAC RAMDAC
> > chip are supported). Support (accelerated) for the ViRGE, ViRGE/VX,
> > ViRGE/DX, ViRGE/GX, ViRGE/GX2, ViRGE/MX, ViRGE/MX+, Trio3D and
> > Trio3D/2X is provided by the "s3virge" driver. Support (accelerated)
> > for the Savage3D, Savage3D/MV, Savage4, Savage2000, and SuperSavage,
> > is provided by the "savage" driver. Support for the other S3 chipsets
> > has not yet been ported.

> Well, I was wrong. The vesa driver does work acceptably. So I guess I
> can be happy now. Thanks for finding this for me. I'm assuming it's
> from the XFree86 docs.

----
no reason to ever boot a server into run level 5 - always boot run level
3 and startx if that is what you want to do. Having X Windows
running/open uses up a lot of resources that could/should be used for
better.

Assuming that - the advice that you never run X on a server/firewall is
going to be ignored AND you never run X on any machine as root is going
to likewise be ignored...

Red Hat specifics that Kevin is probably not familiar with:

X Configuration is /etc/X11/XF86Config

from CLI...
'redhat-config-xfree86 --reconfig'
will bring up the configuration toolbox to allow you to configure X in a
broken installation.

non Red Hat specific info...

SWAT can be run from any other computer - it is a networked product

Webmin has a swat tool if you want - AND gives you amazing control over
server from any web browser on the LAN AND so much much more
<http://www.webmin.com>

It isn't necessarily a defeat to use a different system to create
settings files on a different system and xferring them over - sometimes
it's a recognition that you don't have the knowledge to use the CLI and
it's editors and that time is more important than the education of
learning it. Resolve to learn to administrate via the command line and
not from the GUI and your knowledge will grow.

Craig