the creature from the black lagoon.... or dealing with OS cr…

Author: Deepak Saxena
Subject: the creature from the black lagoon.... or dealing with OS creep
On Oct 14 2003, at 12:42, Deepak Saxena was caught saying:
> On Oct 14 2003, at 12:07, Bart Garst was caught saying:
> > I am curious though, how do you guys(?) handle packaging? Have you had
> > any luck finding (good) volunteer packagers?
>
> I work for a linux distro, so we have a couple of people do that for
> our product. But for the stuff I release to the community, a couple
> of people have picked up my kernels and built pre-built ramdisks and
> provided documentation for folks wanting run Linux w/o having to
> buy our distro.

Didn't really finish my thoughts. What I've discovered is that
if something is useful to enough people, someone will volunteer.
I maintain ports to several different embedded platforms and
only a few have an active community of users around them whereas
the remainder are just being used by some vendors here and there.
I think the same holds true for non-kernel projects. If a project
picks up enough users and community interest, someone will step up
to the task of packaging, documentation (software developer's bane),
and all that other end-user stuff. If that doesn't happen and the
project is not of use to many people it either sucks, or I think more
often it just hasn't picked up enough steam yet.

~Deepak

--
Deepak Saxena -

"To eliminate the concept of waste means to design things - products,
 packaging, and systems - from the very beggining on the understanding
 that waste does not exist" - William McDonough & Michael Braungart,
                 From Cradle to Cradle: Remaking the Way We Make Things