Problems with new flat panel monitor and Mandrake 8.2

Author: Ted Gould
New-Topics: Proof of linux working..somewhat.
Subject: Problems with new flat panel monitor and Mandrake 8.2
--=-VoK3zZ4fiNHQPhXlwFKN

On Sat, 2003-10-11 at 08:52, Lee Einer wrote:
> Anyway, I am having problems getting it configured. I have made several=20
> attempts using the Control Panel to set the resolution to=20
> 1280x1024@60mz, but every time I log out or reboot, the settings reset=20
> to 1024x768 @70mz. It's really starting to chafe me. What is going on=20
> here, and how can I fix?

What do you mean by 'Control Panel'? This might be just changing your
prefered resolution, not the display's prefered resolution. The
prefered resolution for a display is housed in the file
/etc/X11/XF86Config under the 'Screen' section. Here's mine:

Section "Screen"
    Identifier "Screen1"
    Device     "ATI Rage 128 Mobility S2"
    Monitor    "Monitor0"
    DefaultDepth     16
    SubSection "Display"
        Depth     24
        Modes    "1024x768"
    EndSubSection
    SubSection "Display"
        Depth     16
        Modes    "1024x768"
    EndSubSection
    SubSection "Display"
        Depth     8
        Modes    "1024x768"
    EndSubSection
EndSection

You'll notice that there is a default depth, that is the prefered amount
of colors. Then there are modes. Those are used in order. Put the one
you want most often first.

        --Ted

--=-VoK3zZ4fiNHQPhXlwFKN

--=-VoK3zZ4fiNHQPhXlwFKN--