xmms user can't access CDROM

Author: Bill Jonas
Subject: xmms user can't access CDROM
--FEz7ebHBGB6b2e8X

[Sorry for the late reply; I got behind on the list and am getting
caught up.]

On Sun, Sep 28, 2003 at 02:50:46PM -0700, Emmanuel Gravel wrote:
> Actually, try this. As root, add your username to the
> disk group (if /dev/hdc is in the disk group, like on
> my RH system) and see if xmms can use your cdrom when
> you're logged in as your user.

That's a really *bad* idea. If you add yourself to the disk group, then
you have absolutely no protection against errant programs doing the
equivalent of "cat /dev/random >/dev/hda".

Much better is to add yourself to the cdrom group (see vigr(8)), then
"chgrp cdrom /dev/hdc".

> It should read something like this:
> disk:x:6:root,username
> where username is, of course, your username.

Root shouldn't need to be in *any* groups. At best, it's superfluous.
I mean, I guess it doesn't *hurt* if root is listed on every line in
/etc/group, but the root account already has complete permission to
anything on the system already.

--=20
Bill Jonas    *        *    http://www.billjonas.com/
"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your front door.  You step
into the Road,  and if you don't keep your feet,  there  is  no knowing
where you might be swept off to."  --  Bilbo Baggins

--FEz7ebHBGB6b2e8X

--FEz7ebHBGB6b2e8X--