sound volume

Author: Mike Starke
Subject: sound volume
On Tue, Sep 30, 2003 at 11:09:08PM -0700, Ted Gould wrote:
/_On Tue, 2003-09-30 at 16:09, Mike Starke wrote:
/_> I've never been much of a gui guy, but I just fired up the gnome-panel
/_> and see a volume control to the far right. If one had to adjust the
/_> volume (intensity or mute) via the command line, how would that be done?
/_>
/_> Seems to me gui apps only manipulate values contained within asci files
/_> anyway.............
/_
/_I don't know of any utility that will let you do that on the command
/_line - but to do it all you'd need is something to write to /dev/mixer.
/_It isn't an ASCII file though...
/_
Someone just recommended 'aumix'. Thatg was exactly what I needed.

I use cron and some wav files for my alarm clock.....problem I was
having was that some days the volume would have been turned down.
Now I can just run 'aumix -v90' right before I play my wave file:-)

-mike

:wq!