sound volume

Author: der.hans
Subject: sound volume
Am 30. Sep, 2003 schw=E4tzte Mike Starke so:

> I've never been much of a gui guy, but I just fired up the gnome-panel
> and see a volume control to the far right. If one had to adjust the
> volume (intensity or mute) via the command line, how would that be done?

Haven't used one in a long time. "apt-cache search mixer" turned up a coupl=
of things.

cam - Cpu's Audio Mixer for Linux

The description from show mentions an X version, so I presume it's availabl=
in a non-X version.

gom - A generic audio mixer (Base versions)

Just below that is an X version.

gom is a generic audio mixer program; it tries to provide a complete
and convenient interface for all kind of audio mixer manipulation.
gom's facilities include sound driver (compile time) and sound card
(run time) independence, arbitrary mixer selection, loading and saving
of mixer settings, volume fading, verbosity-level driven output,
"Un*x-like scripting support", etc.
.
At the moment, gom only supports the Open Sound System (OSS) sound
driver. OSS comes with the Linux kernel as free software called
OSS/Free, and is available for a number of other platforms.
.
Apart from the exhaustive command line interface described here, gom
optionally has two built-in interactive interfaces (that I call
gomiis, gom interactive interfaces;): a terminal gomii using ncurses,
and a X gomii using the xview toolkit. All gomiis support adjustable
(this includes disabling) real time updating.

oss-preserve - Program to save/restore OSS mixer settings

rexima - A nice little ncurses mixer.

setmixer - A commandline mixer

aumix - Simple text-based mixer control program

Remember, X on a server is a waste of resources, but tunage is an essential
service ;-).

ciao,

der.hans
--=20
#  The only way for a woman to change a man
#  is if he's wearing Depends[TM] - der.hans