Debian error message

Author: der.hans
Subject: Debian error message
Am 30. Sep, 2003 schw=E4tzte Miles Beck so:

> Does anyone know what the following message means and why it came up?
>
> "i8253 count too high! resetting..."

Looks like a bunch of people have had this problem. Looks like it has
something to do with ASUS motherboards.

http://lists.suse.com/archive/suse-linux/2003-Jun/4919.html

As one person did, you just comment out the printk and recompile the kernel=
,
but I don't find that to be a true solution.

Hmmm, looks like you can thank Alan Cox for this.

http://www.kernelnewbies.org/kernels/CL9/SOURCES/032_8235_timer.patch

:)

Wonder if he really posted that in 2005? If so, we should expect to see lot=
of fixes as they backport stuff from the future :).

Hmm, looks like the fix is actually from Jim-something.

http://linuxtoday.com/developer/2002113000126NWKNDV

BTW, Carl, that page doesn't render very well. The large ads on the right
eat into the message from Alan.

Looks like the 8253 problem is known, so you probably have to wait for a
fix. It looks like it causes problems for time-tracking, so see the battery
thread from earlier today about install ntpd or ntpdate.

ciao,

der.hans
--=20
#  It's up to the reader to make the book interesting.
#  An author has only the opportunity to make it uninteresting. - der.hans