InstallFest menu - I need feedback

Author: Craig White
Subject: InstallFest menu - I need feedback
On Mon, 2003-09-29 at 14:53, George Gambill wrote:
> > Subject: RE: InstallFest menu - I need feedback
> > From: Bart Garst <>
> > Date: 29 Sep 2003 12:27:53 -0700
> >
> ... snip ...
> >
> > Do you mean start X by default?
> >
> >     What about:

> >     WebMin

> Yes, I like booting to the command line and needing to enter "startx" to
> invoke the GUI. But, then, I tend to use it as a server thereby not needing
> to log in.
>

> > I don't see this on my RH8.0 disks. Is this shipped with
> > other distros?
> >
> >     I can't image any newbie coming to the InstallFest wanting a DHCP
> >     server
> >     but, maybe some will take the form back to their office and say
> >     "Look what
> >     this thing (Linux) can do.

> WebMin is a add-on found at http://www.webmin.com/ . It is a great help for
> newbie's to configure such things as a firewall, Apache, DNS, file sharing
> and so on. If the group deems this worthy, I will bring a set of cd for
> each of the installers.

----
the package maintainers at Red Hat have never liked Webmin so they don't
include it - don't know about other distros except that at one time, the
debian package had problems updating itself.

I don't think click & pray server administration is good policy -
whether Windows or Linux so I can't recommend Webmin for newbies. I
certainly don't want to see more newbies on the Webmin mail list -
that's for sure.

Almost all of the distros have their own tools for setup & maintenance
and whichever distro the user walks away with, he should be directed to
those tools first and foremost - let's not confuse them with this and
that utility because it strikes someone as cool.

Craig